- The Director of Diversity and Inclusion will be part of the diversity leadership for the firm and will work closely with the Deputy Chair of Diversity and Inclusion, and the Chairs of the Diversity Committee and the Global Women's Initiative as well as the heads of each of the Affinity Groups and local office leaders.
- The Director of Diversity and Inclusion should be committed to furthering the firm's objective of building and maintaining Dechert LLP as a preeminent and inclusive global law firm, comprised of excellent legal professionals providing the highest quality of cost-effective service. The Director of Diversity and Inclusion should be outgoing, organized, sensitive, assertive, flexible, independent, and dedicated to furthering the Firm’s inclusion efforts.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Serve as a thought leader, ambassador and advocate on diversity, inclusion and equality initiatives and issues, working with firm committees and administrators, practice groups and office leaders to implement the Firm's diversity initiatives, keeping focus on inclusion as a key firm value.
- Work closely with Hiring Partners, Human Resources, Recruiting and Talent to increase the firm's hiring and retention of diverse personnel; research, track and analyze information with respect to recruitment, retention and promotion of women and diverse lawyers; and research, identify and work with others to implement best practices in furtherance of these goals.
- Be a resource for individual women lawyers, lawyers of color, LGBT lawyers and other diverse professionals as they work to develop their careers.
- Work with all of the firm’s offices to support the firm’s diversity and inclusion efforts globally.
- Identify, develop and foster relationships among various external constituencies who are active in diversity and inclusion in all geographic regions where the firm has a presence; participate in professional organizations and networks; establish and maintain relationships with minority bar and student associations and affinity groups.
- Participate in serving the needs of firm clients, working with partners to address their clients’ questions, issues and concerns about the firm’s diversity and inclusion efforts.
- Participate in creating metrics for assessing the results of the firm's diversity and inclusion initiatives and benchmarking firm initiatives against evolving best practices in the legal industry.
- Develop strong firm-wide relationships to ensure effective execution of diversity strategies and programs.
- Oversee the firm's compliance with various bar association and other organization’s diversity pledges and commitments the firm may undertake.
- Develop, manage and oversee the creation of programs and the distribution of information related to diversity and inclusion in the workplace, including the Junior Associate Diversity Boot Camp, summer associate programs, new associate orientations, training and educational programs and cultural heritage celebrations; create and circulate appropriate diversity-related communications.
- Collaborate with the Marketing Department to develop strategies to capitalize on the firm's commitment to diversity and to publicize examples of successful diversity efforts, including the firm’s diversity materials, brochures and web-based content, making efforts to secure recognition of those efforts in national or regional publications or “best of” lists; coordinate the firm's diversity sponsorship protocol, identifying, selecting and facilitating appropriate sponsorship or event hosting opportunities; oversee the preparation of responses to client requests for diversity information and appropriate third party surveys.
- Collaborate with the firm’s Global Women’s Initiative, the Diversity Committee and affinity groups, plan and attend their meetings and events, help develop and manage their budgets and provide other support to those committees, committee chairpersons, and committee initiatives and their affinity groups.
- Make presentations and attend conferences and help to identify and engage speakers with diverse backgrounds for internal diversity programs; along with others, represent the firm at various diversity functions and serve as one of the firm’s principal spokespeople on diversity and inclusion issues.